14 Days of Popcorn: Sharp Cheddar Cheese Popcorn
I’ve been trying to figure out a way to make a real cheese popcorn for this series. I always loved the cheese popcorn made with fake, powdered cheese as a kid. But luckily I prefer real cheese now. And if you want to make your own popcorn, where do you even buy powdered cheese? So I decided to try experimenting with a real cheese option. It took a while, and a few failed attempts, but I managed to make a delicious Sharp Cheddar Cheese Popcorn made with real cheese! I wanted to make a cheese sauce to pour over the popcorn. That didn’t work so well. If the cheese sauce was more like a fondue, with the cheese melted in a chicken or vegetable stock, it was too wet for the fluffy popcorn and the end result wasn’t good. So I tried to make a cheese sauce with butter, well, I ended up with delicious tasting butter with a clump of melted cheese in it. I could not get it to melt together into a sauce (but I might have eaten the cheese anyway). I thought about giving up! I figured I could do a parmesan cheese popcorn, I could shred it finely into a powder and call it a day. But I really wanted to make a Sharp Cheddar Cheese Popcorn. So in my last ditch effort before throwing in the towel I tried something different. I made my popcorn into more of a popcorn nacho type of treat. And it worked! And it tastes amazing! I can’t stop eating it! So now I have the perfect recipe for a salty, cheesy popcorn treat. It’s not anything like the powdered cheese popcorn I ate as a child, it’s so much better. It’s grown up cheese popcorn!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Clicking these links will help support this blog so I can keep creating things to share with you, but you will never pay more by using an affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
For more popcorn love, check out the other recipes I’ve been sharing. 14 Days of Popcorn
- Day 1: Chewy Peanut Butter Caramel Popcorn
- Day 2: Chocolate Kettle Corn
- Day 3: Churro Caramel Popcorn
- Day 4: Vanilla Bean Cheesecake Caramel Popcorn
- Day 5: Chipotle Lime Popcorn
- Day 6: Trail Mix Caramel Popcorn Bars
- Day 7: Dark Chocolate Caramel Popcorn
- Day 8: Lemon Rosemary Popcorn
- Day 9: Brown Butter & Honey Popcorn
- Day 10: Chai Spiced Caramel Popcorn with Free Printable Tea Cups
- Day 11: German Chocolate Cake Caramel Popcorn
- Day 12: Chocolate Dipped Marshmallow Popcorn Hearts
Happy Valentine’s Day!