This recipe came to me early one Saturday morning. I wanted something healthy for breakfast. My husband wanted veggies for breakfast. Sometimes I find it harder to eat veggies for breakfast, I just naturally reach for fruits in the AM. Lunch and dinner are for the veggies! But I opened the fridge and a light went off (the light in my brain, not the one in the fridge).
I saw the spinach in the fridge. We always have spinach for green smoothies and such. And I thought omelette, but I don’t like the texture of cooked spinach leaves so I usually don’t put spinach in omelettes. But why can’t I just blend it into the eggs so that the spinach is all chopped up, then there’s no soggy cooked spinach texture. I also had feta cheese on hand so a Greek omelette sounded perfect!
The omelettes went together really fast once I chopped all the veggies. So if you prepped these the night before, you could have a quick, healthy and hot breakfast on a busy morning! Sounds like a good plan to me 🙂
I chopped up some red pepper, tomato, and avocado to go inside the omelettes with the crumbled feta cheese.
Then I blended up 3 whole eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 Tbsp milk and 1 1/2 cups of fresh spinach (about 2 small handfuls) until it was smooth.
I turned a small nonstick skillet to med-high heat and let it heat up. You can use a medium size skillet, but mine isn’t very nonstick anymore so I always cook eggs in my small one. And the recipe made 4 cute little omelettes in the small pan, two for the hubby and 2 for me.
Spray your pan with a little cooking spray. then pour 1/4 of the egg mixture into the hot pan. Let it cook a minute, then start moving the cooked parts of the egg into the middle and rotating the pan to allow the runny egg mixture to run to the edge to cook. Keep doing this until you don’t have any runny egg, then flip the whole thing over.
Sprinkle the top with feta cheese, peppers, tomatoes, and avocado.
Then slide to the plate flipping 1/2 of the omelette onto the top, enclosing all the goodies inside. The veggies you put inside the eggs are not going to be cooked, they give a nice crunch to the omelette, but the eggs are warm enough to melt the cheese and warm the veggies. And it was perfect for me!
My husband enjoyed them so much, he tried to steal mine.
But I fought him off and was able to eat it.
All by myself!
And it was delicious.
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 cups spinach (about 2 small handfuls)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp feta cheese
- 1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- cooking spray
- Place eggs, milk and spinach in a blender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth.
- Heat a small nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Pour 1/4 of the egg mixture into the hot pan. Let it cook a little bit, then start moving the cooked parts of the egg into the middle and rotating the pan to allow the runny egg mixture to run to the edge to cook. Continue until you don't have any more runny egg, then flip the whole thing over.
- Sprinkle the top of the egg with 1/2 Tbsp feta cheese and 1/4 of the chopped pepper, tomato, and avocado.
- Remove the omelette to the pan and flip half of the omelette over on top enclosing the veggies inside.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients until you have 4 small omelettes.
I’m linking up to some of my favorite Link Parties.